$500 Cash Prize!
City Lit Theater Company seeks submissions to The Art of Adaptation, its sixth-annual festival of stage adaptations of non-dramatic literature.
The festival will take place July 19th, 20th, and 21st at City Lit Theater, 1020 W.Bryn Mawr Avenue. We anticipate it will consist of 6 to 10 adaptations presented in various combinations over the course of the weekend. A panel of Jeff Award winning judges will view all performances and award a $500 cash prize to the adapter of the piece judged the best of the festival.
1. All pieces must be between 5 and 20 minutes.
2. It must be an adaptation of non-dramatic material—a short story, an essay, a memoir, poetry, an excerpt from a novel, a video game, what have you; but not material from a play.
3. Each adapter is responsible for whatever royalties might be due on your piece, as well as for your own rehearsal process. City Lit will not provide rehearsal space prior to tech rehearsal, nor will it provide services of a director or any actors for any piece.
4. All pieces will be performed on the same simple unit set with the same simple light plot (including one special per piece). A stock of furniture will be provided. If your piece requires furniture beyond the provided stock, it is your responsibility.
5. City Lit will provide performance space, backstage and front-of-house crew, publicity, programs, tickets and the $500 cash prize.
To submit a proposal for entry into the festival, send a one-page description of the project you are proposing, and ten pages of your adaptation script, to Katy Nielsen at City Lit Theater, 1020 West Bryn Mawr Avenue, Chicago IL 60660.
Proposals must be postmarked no later than May 31st.